“The Search Is Over” is a 1985 song by the American rock band Survivor. It charted on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #4 during the week of July 13, 1985, and remained on the chart for fourteen weeks in total. It was the band’s third single and second top-ten hit from their 1984 album Vital Signs. The song also spent four weeks atop the adult contemporary chart, Survivor’s only chart-topper on this tally. Former keyboardist/guitarist for the band and co-songwriter Jim Peterik told Songfacts:
“It wasn’t about my life as much as a friend of mine who had a girlfriend – really a play pal throughout their growing up years – and never thought it could be anything more than that. It was looking him straight in the face that this was the girl of his destiny, and he looked everywhere to find that dream girl only to come back to the sandbox.”
- In 1986, singer Gene Miller sang the song’s first cover for the Keanu Reeves television film Young Again.
- In 2005, singer Collin Raye covered the song for his album Twenty Years and Change.
- In 2008, Rachelle Ann Go covered the song for her album Rachelle Ann Rocks Live.
- In 2009, original co-writer Jim Peterik recorded the song as a solo for his album Lifeforce.
- In 2009, Scott MacIntyre performed the song on American Idol and recorded a studio version which was released on iTunes.
- In 2009, the song was included in the Broadway jukebox musical, Rock of Ages, as a duet between the characters Drew and Sherrie.